Health benefits of chocolate is grate.
- The next time you eat a piece of chocolate, you may not have to feel so guilty about it.
- Despite its bad reputation for causing weight gain,
- a number of health benefits may be associated with this delicious treat.
Eating chocolate may have the following benefits:
lowering cholesterol levels
- One study, published in The Journal of Nutrition, suggests that chocolate consumption might help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels, also known as “bad cholesterol.”
- The researchers set out to investigate whether chocolate bars containing plant sterols (PS) and cocoa flavanols (CF) have any effect on cholesterol levels.
reducing the risk of cardiovascular problems
- Research published in The BMJ, suggests that consuming chocolate could help lower the risk of developing heart disease by one-third.
- Based on their observations, the authors concluded that higher levels of chocolate consumption could be linked to a lower risk of cardiometabolic disorders
Findings published in The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition suggest that a little dark chocolate might boost oxygen availability during fitness training.
Chocolate may have health benefits, but it can have some negative effects, too.
- Weight gain: Some studies suggest that chocolate consumption is linked to lower body mass index (BMI) and central body fat.
- However, chocolate can have a high calorie count due to its sugar and fat content.
- Anyone who is trying to slim down or maintain their weight should limit their chocolate consumption and check the label of their favorite product.
The high sugar content of most chocolate can also be a cause of tooth decay.
How to choose the healthiest chocolate
- To get more bang in your bar, reach for dark chocolate with a cocoa percentage of 70% or higher. (More cocoa equals more flavonoids.)
- Chocolate, cocoa, or cacao should appear first on the ingredient list, which means there’s the most of it by weight.
- If sugar is first on the list or you see words you can’t pronounce, steer clear, or you’ll likely be pumping yourself full of empty calories and fillers